On leaving Germany and moving to Costa Rica, and then to Ecuador

Comments, compliments... no complaints, with the exception of mosquitoes, but that's biodiversity for you! :)

Sunday, February 17, 2008

First days in Ecuador

This will be updated quite regularly, since changes will take place almost every day. I have to report that packing in Costa Rica went quite well, and so did take off...amazing! I had been torturing myself, waking up in the middle of the night thinking my suitcases were too heavy. I even gave away more stuff that I had already packed (which I had to immediately re-buy here)...by the time I got to the airport, I was really nervous and afraid I'd be charged hundreds of dollars for my excess baggage. Not so. I feel extremely lucky and proud of myself :) I'd called the airline the day before and told them I was carrying important documents with me (from the university) that could not go in my suitcase and would not fit in the carry on...could I carry them in a shopping bag? They said yes, annotated that on my record online and when I got to the airport, they didn't make problems...I was SO relieved!

My shoulders and back still hurt, but I got to bring everything I needed...

I was picked up at the airport by my new boss, and treated to a typical Andean soup and fried plantains for lunch. Then we discussed "housing" matters. She showed me pictures and, even though I haven't seen the house yet, it looks like the kind of place I'd enjoy living in. I'm very satisfied with the living arrangements and think that I will enjoy working for this university. There's a lot to be done, but I can do it. I was trained for that and already did the same job at another university for three years...so, I'm looking forward to tomorrow...

There's a slight problem...I will have to work in Quito for the first week, and I already talked about my headaches...not funny to have to start my day with two Advils, but it's necessary.

I think that's all for now... "soroche" (altitud sickness) is manifesting itself again and I have to go lie down...

1 comment:

Brenda Elliott said...

Your life sounds absolutely fastinating! I wish you all the best of everything in your new endeavor.

I'm not going to Peru this time - my sister and mother-in-law will be leaving the end of March and return to Columbus April 3 -- too much going on for me this time -- too close to Josh's wedding -- wish I could visit with you, tho

take care and let me hear from you!
Brenda Elliott
elliott@hatcherstubbs.com
queenbbe@gmail.com :)